Pattern: Blithe by Kim Hargreaves, from Breeze
Yarn: Rowan 4-ply cotton in Aubergine,, a little over 4 balls
Needles: US 0
Notes: I wanted to make Blithe from the first moment I saw the pattern appear as a kit. Alas, the lousy exchange rate and shipping tempered my enthusiasm. So I when I saw it was being released in Breeze, there was no question what I was going to make first.
I think I knit with few alterations to the pattern. I didn’t change needle sizes for the hemline or sleeves, and I’m glad I didn’t (since I was knitting on size 0s anyway, I figured it would make little difference.) I knit the body to 15″, and I think that is the length called for in pattern, or close to it. It could be longer, but it’s fine as is. I did add one extra set of waist shaping pairs.
I found a few things confusing about the pattern. First of all, I somehow knit too many buttonholes, and ended up only using every other one and calling it a design element. And then one of the fronts has less stitches than the other, and yet just said “reverse shaping other side.” I winged it, but I wasn’t happy about the way it was worded. I knit the sleeves as written and they fit me fine, but they are small… be aware and knit more if needed.
But anyway… I love this sweater! I think it’s so flattering and I love the pretty color! My tension was pretty awful on the back, but oh well – I can’t see it when I’m wearing it! I am so happy that I finally got to make my Blithe!