FO: Simplicity 2896

Pattern: Simplicity 2896

Fabric: 2 yards of 60″ wide metallic linen

Notes: Every summer I buy myself a pair of linen pants.  Usually they are wide legged and have a drawstring waist, and by mid summer they are so stretched out that I am in constant danger of my pants falling off.  This summer I thought I would try something different and make my own!  I decided on this pattern because it had wide legs, but lacked the drawstring waist (I’ve never cared for that sort of waist treatment.)  I had bought this fabric for a jacket, but quickly realized that it needed to be nowhere near my face (I don’t look good in beige) so I decided this fabric would be my summer pants.

I made a muslin of the size 10, and decided that I needed a little more room in the waist.  On the finished pants, it turns out that I could have stuck to the straight size 10 – these fit a little below my natural waist, but I think they would be nicer at the natural waist.  I had some issues with attaching the facing, as I mentioned in my last post, but they worked out otherwise.  I’m especially proud of the fly zipper!

I really wanted to make this whole project on my new Singer Rocketeer, but there were a few places that didn’t work – on the zipper I had to use my other machine, as I don’t have a zipper foot yet, and I needed the walking foot when attaching the facing.  The pattern calls for sandwiching the belt carriers in between the facing and the pants, and that made for about a million layers of fabric to sew together.  The Bernina is a champ when it comes to thick fabrics, especially with the walking foot attached.  I actually would not put the belt loops in there if I made the pants again – it’s too thick, and the facing really wants to roll out around them.  But this is a thick fabric, and it might be fine in something thinner.

I made the self-fabric tie belt, but I like the pants better with a scarf belt to reduce bulk.  They also look nice with the shirt untucked, but I wanted to show the whole thing!  I ironed the fabric before prewashing it, a Sandra Betzina tip to minimize future wrinkling.  I don’t know if it works, but for linen these pants don’t wrinkle too badly.

The metallic linen wasn’t fun.  I didn’t use my scissors at all, because I was afraid of dulling them (metallic threads can kill scissors, something I know from embroidery.)  It killed a rotary blade, but I managed.  My serger didn’t like this fabric at all, so I put the knife down and trimmed with the rotary cutter, then serged.  I didn’t want to dull the serger knife either.  It is a pretty fabric though – it looks different under different lights – very shiny at night, but only a subtle sparkle in the daytime.

They aren’t the most slimming pants ever, but that wasn’t really the point of them – I wanted a pair of breezy casual summer linen pants, and I got them!  They look best with tops with a bit of drape – I tried them with some close fitting tanks, and it was not a good look – very unbalanced from top to bottom.  I do recommend the pattern, but consider altering the belt loops, and watch for the facing instructions – it might have been just me, but I had issues!