I’ve been tagged for two of the memes going around the crafting community, and I am never one to avoid filling out a questionaire (is that odd? I love to answer random questions!) Tasia tagged me for the “Eight Questions” meme – here are my answers (I’ll save the other answers for later on!)
1. Which pattern/vintage style have you been thinking about lately? I’m in the midst of a Mad Men rewatch, in preparation for the new season, so I’d have to say that my obsession with the early 60s continues. I’m also desperate for some flattering black pants – I bought mine in 2002, and they aren’t looking so good!
2. What’s your sewing threshold? As in, what will you let go, what must you absolutely fix? If it looks fine on the outside, I probably won’t fix it. Slightly puckered lining? I’m not going to bother. I will fix a puckered seam on the outside, and I cannot bear if I can see the hem when it’s supposed to be invisible. I will always fix fitting problems if I can – I often have to take a dress apart and adjust the side seams a bit!
3. A designer you consistently like and why? It’s only since I started sewing that I paid much attention to designers at all, other than an unhealthy obsession with Project Runway. Flipping through my inspiration file, it seems I do like Carolina Herrera, Michael Kors, and Armani. Classic looks, which makes sense since I am far more inspired by vintage design than I am by what’s happening on the runway now!
4. What garment/accessory do you wear the most? I wear the diamond stud earrings that my grandma gave me for my 16th birthday almost every day. I am not much of one for fancy earrings or necklaces, but I do love a nice brooch!
5. What song never fails to move you? A question you should never ask a musician! I would have to say The Luckiest by Ben Folds… it was the first dance song at my wedding. Of course, when the first line said “I don’t get many things right the first time,” all our guests snickered… guess they know us well!
6. What is one place that you really want to visit that you haven’t been to before? So many places! I love to travel. Right now England is at the top of my list… I’ve been to Europe several times, but somehow I’ve never quite made it there!
7. How do you relax? I am not exactly known for being a relaxed person, but… I love to take walks around my neighborhood, looking at the lovely old houses, maybe stopping at a coffee shop. My neighborhood is not quiet at all, so I suppose many people wouldn’t consider it relaxing, but I love the feeling of being a part of everything, and the excitement that something is always going on (that I don’t have to take part in.) Since I work from home, my concept of relaxing may be different from yours! I get really stir crazy if I don’t get out of the house for a bit every day.
8. Your motto/mantra? “Music is what happens between the notes.” (Duke Ellington… I think) Although I don’t talk about it so much here, most of my life is taken up by teaching and performing. It’s easy to get caught up in the notes, in a sometimes futile attempt to achieve technical perfection. And yet… some of the singers who move us the most have imperfect voices. The most simple music can be the achingly beautiful. As an example I offer this: Metamorphosis I by Philip Glass, one of my favorite pieces to play lately. Technically demanding? Not especially, though there is an art to minimalism. But there is something there that speaks to me (so I guess this is another answer to #5 as well!)