at least not the sort that involves posting photos of me wearing muslins on the web! I completed the muslin of the 70s sundress, and I’m very pleased with the fit, even if the photos make it look like I live in a tomb (somehow my self-taken mirror shots usually turn out better!)
I may give just a tad more room in the waist. I think, though, that most of those wrinkles are caused by it being pinned in the back (my husband did his best, but it’s definitely not exactly matched at the buttonhole lines, thus the wrinkles.) The waist on this is quite high, which I like. Note the 70s-ish platform sandals, which I want to wear with the dress to match the pattern envelope. They’re actual modern Danskos, which I found brand new this summer at a thrift store for 5 dollars (I had almost bought the same pair the week before for over $100!) They’re great walking sandals.
It is pinned to meet at the center back line – this will be entirely buttons on the actual dress. The straps will need to be shortened, because I had to pin them pretty far down, but I love the crossed back! I have decided that I’m pro-ruffle – I am a ruffle person, and it is a wee bit plain. Besides, I have made a last minute fabric substitution, which cries for ruffles.
There wasn’t anything wrong with the polka dot – I just decided that I really wanted to use that fabric to make a second Rooibos dress – I love the idea of it in polka dots! This fabric is a cotton/linen blend in a floral ikat style print. I really love the colors. I got this at Joann tonight, when I ventured there for the 4th of July sale. Right now I’m trying to decide how I should best match the print. I think center front of the skirt and part of the princess seams should be enough – I just don’t have enough fabric to do more and still have room for the ruffle.
Now I’m off to do some creative cutting – it will be hard to match the print and still get the ruffle in!