There is actually a formal way to make a muslin – it involves thread tracing all the seam lines and then taking apart your muslin to use for your pattern. I’ve never done this – I’m a big fan of the quick and dirty muslin, and I’m super impatient. But I’m looking to make this Michael Kors pattern, and I want to get the fit right!
Look at me, copying the envelope, but you know I just loved the polka dots! I’m using the red/black wool suiting that I got from Mood awhile back (did I mention that it’s a Rebecca Taylor fabric? Too bad I’m not using one of her patterns for Vogue!)
Tasia just put up a good tutorial on this sort of muslin (although I don’t think she uses the muslin for the pattern… I have heard it can stretch out.) So I’m trying (and I’m even doing the skirt – I pretty much have to on a fitted style.) My only pre-muslin alteration is for length – I don’t like a straight dress that falls below the knee. There are a lot of markings for the bow, but I’m hoping that following the directions will work! I’m not going to lie – sewing all the seamlines by machine is super tedious, but I’m determined to try it this way at least once!
It had better work out – I already bought shoes to go with the dress!
I have been wanting a pair of red heels, so since I was getting an assortment of boots to try out I thought “why not?” These are only a 2.5″ heel. Three inches is my limit, platform or no, and I can’t believe how hard it is to find a height between 4 inches and flat. The red matches my fabric very well! Speaking of red shoes, I also got these:
These are by Kensie girl, and were both adorable and dead cheap. I have a few pairs by this brand, and they are all comfortable for the price. I’ve been wearing my black cowboy boots to death, which sort of shocks me – I never thought I would care for boots that are shorter than knee height, but I really like them!
I managed to get the muslin cut and prepared, and tomorrow I will try to sew it up – here’s hoping that the sizing is close (the tissue has no markings for the bust, so I just cut an 8, my usual Vogue bust size.) Luckily, this week promises to be less busy than the last – the only sewing I managed last week was a horribly failed muslin and a mostly successful thrift store refashion (which I will have to show you when I do my Wednesday night post.)