I was sifting through my patterns in Evernote yesterday, and came upon this pattern. I must have bought it in one of the 99 cent Simplicity sales, and then promptly forgot about its existence. I think the dress has a certain 1940s look to it, with the six gore skirt and the sweetheart neckline. I also think the pattern photo is pretty bad. I couldn’t figure out what was bothering me about it, but then I realized that it’s too monochromatic, which (in my opinion only) can sometimes give things a homesewn appearance. Not always, of course – some dresses don’t need embellishment – but I know most of my solid RTW dresses have some sort of a contrast to break up the color. Imagine the dress with a contrasting tie waist, as in my line drawing – isn’t that much better? My main fabric is a rayon challis, slightly brighter than the color appears on my monitor. I have not managed to find matching thread, so I will have to be careful that it doesn’t show on the outside. For the tie I’m considering using a patterned cotton. This should give the waist structure, and allow me to use a fun print (in a small dose.) I will have to take a swatch with me to the store tomorrow to figure out what I want.
This pattern basically doesn’t exist online – there are two reviews on Patternreview, but one of them used a different skirt pattern, and the other doesn’t have a photo. I tried a Google search, but came up empty. I sincerely hope there isn’t some sort of awful flaw to this pattern! I guess I will find out… My plan is to sew a bodice muslin first (I have some leftover rayon that should work.) I’m a little worried about the neckline, and the sleeves have the possibility of being too big – I will have to try it and see!
We are on snow day number 6 (I think) for the school year today. I still teach in the snow, but I am certain to have some cancellations – which leaves me time to work on my muslin in between (this is the reason why I love working at home!)