Pattern: Simplicity 2219
Fabric: Rayon jersey from ebay, 3.5 yards
Notions: 1/4″ elastic. I did not use any interfacing on this dress… though I did put twill tape in the shoulder seams to stabilize.
I have an odd fondness for maxi dresses. When I was in high school in the 90s, I had a whole wardrobe of them. Until recently, I hadn’t worn one in ten years. I’m so glad they are back in style again! When I saw this pattern I knew it was perfect for this rayon jersey (one of my favorite ebay finds!) I had 3.5 yards, which is actually more than the pattern calls for. I managed to self-line the entire bodice and still have some left over! I was attracted to this dress by the empire waist and the thick straps – it looked like you could wear a bra, unlike some maxis!
I cut a size 8, and I could have easily sized down to a six. I considered leaving out the elastic on the empire line, but I really needed it to take in the extra fabric. In a size 6 I think I could have left it out. I’d recommend a little bit of negative ease for the bodice on this dress (ie, a bust size about 1″ smaller than your actual bust.)
The instructions were excellent – I don’t remember having any real issues. This dress took 2 days to complete, which isn’t bad at all! The neckline of the dress is low, but not really low enough to be worrisome (YMMV of course, as I don’t have any cleavage to speak of anyway.) The finish of the lined bodice is very professional! I am very happy with this dress, and I’m planning to make the shorter version (with the cape sleeves) as well.
I am 5’8″ tall, and I ended up taking a 2 inch hem, rather than the 1.25″ hem called for in the pattern. My knit is quite heavy, so that might have something to do with it. I only plan to wear this dress with flat shoes. Here is the view from above, which I find amusing for some reason… I can just barely see the fronts of my feet, which is the length I prefer for a dress like this. Too short is unflattering, and too long is a safety hazard!