Pattern: Vogue 1179, a DKNY design
Fabric: ITY Jersey from fabric.com (sold out) 2 yards
I decided to make this dress on a whim, inspired by Carolyn’s beautiful version. I think this may be the fastest dress pattern I’ve made – I spent maybe 2 hours on it yesterday before going out (including cutting) and then perhaps an hour this afternoon after church! The pattern consists of only three pieces – front, back, and cowl neck.
I was really nervous about how this would look on me – I typically avoid dresses without some sort of a waist seam, as I like waist definition as a rule. In fact, my wadder last week (McCalls 6347, which I do not recommend at all) failed because it was semi fitted and had no waist seam. It just looked dumpy on me. This dress though? I’m thrilled with it! I cut a size 6 in the shoulders and upper chest, and blended to an 8 from the waist down. I would ordinarily cut a larger size (between a 10 and 12 usually) but I wanted to make sure it wasn’t too overwhelming, and the measurements on the pattern checked out.
This dress is even pretty flattering from the side and back (for a dress that is essentially a pleated sack!) The only thing I might caution is to watch out for the pleats if you are on the large busted size – the dress pretty much hangs down from them, and I had to make sure to wear a non padded bra or it looked odd.
I did not use the instructions, as I didn’t need them, but I do know that I constructed the cowl differently. I basted the cowl WS together, and then sewed both sides of the cowl to the neckline. I felt no need to hide that seam, as the instructions ask, because you can’t see it anyway. I also changed the armholes – the instructions called for putting clear elastic in them to stabilize, but I just did a baby hem. My knit is lightweight, so it worked out.
This fabric was part of a batch of ITY knits I bought from fabric.com earlier this year. I’ve almost used them up – it’s time to get more! I really love ITY knits, though the quality varies. My machine sews them well, and they have a lovely drape that you don’t always get from cotton or rayon knits. This particular piece of fabric has a crazy print, so I’m glad I was able to find a pattern that doesn’t require breaking the print in half. In fact, I totally recommend this pattern for this sort of fabric.
I took exactly the hem called for. Four inches seems like an awfully deep hem, but it helps to control the volume on the bottom of the dress. I topstitched the hem down with a single row of stitching, and you really don’t notice it in this print at all.
I would definitely make this dress again, and I recommend the pattern. Sometimes it’s nice to try something new! One thing I’m working on right now is making clothes that are practical for me. I find that I wear my knit dresses more often than anything else. I have to dress up all the time, but I usually am singing or playing when that happens – and either way I need to be able to breathe and move! I’m actually almost out of knits, so I’m planning an order!