Vogue 1261

Pattern: Vogue 1261, an Alice & Olivia design

Fabric: poly blend sweater knit (from Joann’s last winter)

Notes:

You may be saying to yourself “Self, I don’t remember that pattern!”  Well… there’s a reason for that.  Here is the pattern envelope, which bears little resemblance to my final product:

I saw the pattern and immediately wanted to make it.  I think it looks great on the model, and I’ve seen this sort of top everywhere in stores.  I held off because I just wasn’t sure about the uneven hemline, which I don’t generally find super flattering.  Lately I’ve been trying to wear pants occasionally (so that I don’t get into a style rut) and decided I wanted some tunics to wear with slim cut pants.  I’m pretty picky about tunics – they  must hit no shorter than mid thigh, or the proportions don’t work on me.  I apparently failed to notice that this particular tunic was not very long, and didn’t think to lengthen before cutting.  Realizing my error, I decided to sew it up anyway – after all, I have been surprised by new silhouete’s before. This time?  Not so much.  Here is the photo, or as I like to call it “how to gain 30 pounds with one new top.”

I am, admittedly, not wearing the right pants for the style in the photo, but skinny pants weren’t much better.  This style is not for me, at least not at the length (and possibly not at all!)  I tried to convince myself that it was fine, but I knew it wasn’t.  In the end I had to do major surgery to the top.  Here is what I did:

– I straightened the hemline and shortened the top by 2.5 inches.

– I reshaped the side seams to get rid of the A shaping.

I did not alter the neckline or the sleeves.  I should note that the sleeves are kind of small, and also short, so be aware of that.  It took me several tries to get a good fit, but I’m pleased now!  Here is the rear view:

I removed the center back seam, and I sewed the seams the normal way (the pattern calls for the seams being on the outside, which isn’t my thing.)

The other bit of oddness was the collar.  The lower edge of the cowl is meant to be finished with a bias strip of the fabric, folded in half with the cowl edge in between the two sides of the bias strip, and top stitched down.  I don’t know… that seems really odd to me (and still leaves 2 raw edges!)  I ended up not treating that edge at all.  My fabric is not the same on both sides, so I may go back and hand stitch the inside of the cowl down if it bothers me to see the back.  Right now I’m fine with it.  You can see what I mean here:

When I was new to sewing, this would have totally freaked me out.  I’m pleased to have progressed to the point where I know how to recover from a disaster!

I am still planning to make some tunics, but this time I will measure them against an existing tunic for length, and avoid uneven hemlines entirely.  I’m cleaning out my closet this weekend, so I expect I will return with some wardrobe plans soon!

 

Advertisements