Pattern: Vogue 8815
Fabric: Leopard double knit (ribbed, sweater like) from fabric mart. There are 9 yards left as I write this.
When I was a little girl I used to spend hours designing pretty dresses for my dolls to wear. And since this was the 80s, nearly every one of them contained some variation of the peplum. Apparently I’ve never lost my fondness for the silhouette, because I’m pretty much super excited about the current peplum revival!
I didn’t buy Vogue 8815 right away. I didn’t like the crew neckline (they make me feel like I’m choking!) and I thought the peplum was skimpy. But when I wanted to make a sweatery peplum, I decided I could alter the pattern for my purposes and brought it home with me.
First order of business: making the peplum larger and longer. I specifically wanted to wear it with these skinny jeans, which were made by a designer with a vendetta against stretch fabric. Since they don’t stretch, I like to wear longer tops with them, as the top view isn’t the best. I added a wedge to each peplum piece, adding 6″ total to the circumference before I lengthened it. Then I added 5 inches in length to the peplum (I wasn’t sure I would keep it all, but I wanted to make sure I had enough. The result? A lot of peplum!
It is not, I suppose, exactly slimming. But I find that I don’t much care about that, so unless strangers start asking me when I’m due (note: probably never) then I’ll enjoy the exaggerated silhouette!
I also had to address the neckline. I took out Butterick 5562 (OOP) and traced off the boatneck. It basically sits right on my collarbone, so it requires either a camisole or strapless bra, but I’m fine with that. I finished the neckline with a strip of the fabric (not bias, as this was a knit.)
I actually had to cut the bodice twice, as the first time I had a serger accident. Luckily I had extra fabric! I shortened the sleeves to 3/4 length and removed the shoulder dart before cutting:
After sewing and basting I removed an additional inch from under the arms because I wanted a fitted sleeve. It looks off in the photo above, but that’s just because I had been moving my hair right before the photo and forgot to readjust. The shoulders are still just a little bit wide for me – you can see how they extend onto my arm a bit. I suspect the design is meant to be this way, but if I made it again I would narrow them.
I’m pretty happy with my peplum top, though I’m not sure it resembles the original pattern anymore. I would recommend this as a good basic!