Pattern: Simplicity 2896
Fabric: 2 yards of 60″ wide metallic linen
Notes: Every summer I buy myself a pair of linen pants. Usually they are wide legged and have a drawstring waist, and by mid summer they are so stretched out that I am in constant danger of my pants falling off. This summer I thought I would try something different and make my own! I decided on this pattern because it had wide legs, but lacked the drawstring waist (I’ve never cared for that sort of waist treatment.) I had bought this fabric for a jacket, but quickly realized that it needed to be nowhere near my face (I don’t look good in beige) so I decided this fabric would be my summer pants.
I made a muslin of the size 10, and decided that I needed a little more room in the waist. On the finished pants, it turns out that I could have stuck to the straight size 10 – these fit a little below my natural waist, but I think they would be nicer at the natural waist. I had some issues with attaching the facing, as I mentioned in my last post, but they worked out otherwise. I’m especially proud of the fly zipper!
I really wanted to make this whole project on my new Singer Rocketeer, but there were a few places that didn’t work – on the zipper I had to use my other machine, as I don’t have a zipper foot yet, and I needed the walking foot when attaching the facing. The pattern calls for sandwiching the belt carriers in between the facing and the pants, and that made for about a million layers of fabric to sew together. The Bernina is a champ when it comes to thick fabrics, especially with the walking foot attached. I actually would not put the belt loops in there if I made the pants again – it’s too thick, and the facing really wants to roll out around them. But this is a thick fabric, and it might be fine in something thinner.
I made the self-fabric tie belt, but I like the pants better with a scarf belt to reduce bulk. They also look nice with the shirt untucked, but I wanted to show the whole thing! I ironed the fabric before prewashing it, a Sandra Betzina tip to minimize future wrinkling. I don’t know if it works, but for linen these pants don’t wrinkle too badly.
The metallic linen wasn’t fun. I didn’t use my scissors at all, because I was afraid of dulling them (metallic threads can kill scissors, something I know from embroidery.) It killed a rotary blade, but I managed. My serger didn’t like this fabric at all, so I put the knife down and trimmed with the rotary cutter, then serged. I didn’t want to dull the serger knife either. It is a pretty fabric though – it looks different under different lights – very shiny at night, but only a subtle sparkle in the daytime.
They aren’t the most slimming pants ever, but that wasn’t really the point of them – I wanted a pair of breezy casual summer linen pants, and I got them! They look best with tops with a bit of drape – I tried them with some close fitting tanks, and it was not a good look – very unbalanced from top to bottom. I do recommend the pattern, but consider altering the belt loops, and watch for the facing instructions – it might have been just me, but I had issues!